Lots of stories around at the moment regarding the readiness of Delhi and India to host the Commonwealth Games – due to start any day now. Some say the games should be cancelled. Others are calling for athletes to stay at home, lest they succumb to terrorist attack or having to sleep in a dirty bed.
I really don’t see what all the fuss is about. India stands proud and is ready to rock and roll!
Doubters – you can stand down right now!
- State of the art stadium facilities:
- World-class catering facilities and international cuisine from renowned celebrity chefs:
- Incredible athletes village complex:
- Unsurpassed levels of convenience and comfort for games visitors:
See what I mean? I dare say that by the end of the games, the organising committee will declare this to be ‘the best games evah!’*
* staged in India. In Delhi. During October 2010.
Don’t just take my word for it though. Here’s the ebullient press release from the Indian High Commission For The Advancement of Commonwealth Games Enjoyment :
“Come to beautiful Delhi and experience joy of seeing four of the World’s top athletes compete in some of most exciting events yet staged in history of everything:
- competitive wheelbarrow racing
- heavyweight brick carrying
- 100m wall painting dash
- stagnant pool hurdles
You won’t forget it! Whilst you are here be sure to partake in Delhi’s indescribable culture:
- experience dengue fever!
- witness explosive terror of a local welcome (* may contain loud bangs and occasional gunfire)
- get fit running from aggressive beggars and touts
- spend some time in our beautiful conveniences as you enjoy latest in severe Delhi Belly”
You should be! And shame on you for being a non-believer.
Let the games begin!!
(/s for the sarcasm impaired. You know what might have helped? How about giving the games workers some tools and machinery instead of making them scratch around in the dirt and build everything by hand!)